History of Missouri Valley Public Library
Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.
The Public Library Association of Missouri Valley first met in 1871, with a room in the Commercial Building at 6th and Erie becoming the first library. In 1882, the City Council gave the Association one room in the new City Hall for a library. This room was immediately behind the stalls where the fire horses were kept.
In 1909 $10,000 was given by Andrew Carnegie, and with an additional $5,000 donated by the community, a lot was purchased at 5th and Huron. In 1912 the new Carnegie Library was dedicated.
In 2004, a renovation and addition to the library was dedicated which was made possible by a gift from Ruth and Hugh Tamisiea, longtime community members and library supporters. The new addition added 7,035 square feet of space to the original building which contained 5,844 square feet.
The remodeled library includes spacious reading areas, expanded space for adult fiction and nonfiction, and a large children's library with separate collections for children and young adults. A public meeting room is available on the lower level. A Tamisiea Memorial Room on the second level displays items from the Tamisiea family.